Tuesday 26 July 2011

St Petersburg

Having spent two weeks here as part of my university course, I thought it was something worth blogging about. I highly doubt that St Petersburg is a place which would instantly spring to mind as a desirable place to visit, but in fact there are plenty of beautiful places to visit in this vibrant, lively city. Admittedly, I was initially apprehensive at the thought of being carted off to a country which is so culturally different to England, but some aspects of St Petersburg are surprisingly Western - they even have a Topshop!!

Some personal highlights...

1. The most beautiful Russian Orthodox Cathedral, located in the centre of the city, which unfortunately cost more than a poor student like me could afford to get into.
2. The hermitage, probably the biggest art gallery in the world and the former home of the Romanovs. I ended up spending six hours in here as my friend and I kept stumbling upon exhibitions. It's fair to say that I felt very cultured after leaving here.
3. Russian dolls at the souvenir market. 
4. Blini with caviar, as a result of my friend's order getting lost in translation - it should have been chicken!
5. Russian McDonalds
6. Rather eye-catching bikes which were being sold in a shop not too dissimilar to Urban Outfitters.

I'm not entirely convinced that my Russian improved over the fortnight, but St Petersburg is a place which i would definitely recommend as a slightly unusual place to visit.

No comments:

Post a Comment